Friday, August 15, 2008

"Like It Or Not" - Architecture in Helsinki

So you think stop-motion animation is hard eh?

Well how about stop-motion embroidery? The stitching and re-stitching of threads over and over for one measly frame of animation. It might be just me, since I'm not very good at sewing, but this has probably got to be one of the most tedious (but definitely beautiful, charming, and well-executed!) types of stop-motion I've ever seen. I definitely need to give props to the embroiderer (embroiderist?)...I take back all the whining I've ever done about claymation.
The last video to be made for the 'Places Like This' era... 'Like It or Not' was painstakingly stitched by The crew at Mathematics (who made the AIH clip for 'Debbie'), directed by Josh Logue and interpreted from a coconut concerned psychedelic love fantasy emanating from the stream of consciousness of Cameron Bird.


Architecture in Helsinki - Like It Or Not from helsinkids on Vimeo.

1 comment:

mmmk said...

i don't think they stitched frame by frame. the fabric would've been a bloody mess of holes if they had. however, i absolutely love embroidery. too bad my arthritis-rheumatism-kidney stone problem is so awful these days.