Wednesday, August 13, 2008

PC Case Mods

Since I'm currently in the (physical!) process of building my PC (the sexy, silent, stylish powerhouse that it is), I felt this post would be appropriate to match my nerdish fit of excitement.

I happened to come across an old article over Dark Roasted Blend about PC case mods. The article itself is really a giant photo gallery of some interesting mods, some I consider to be ingenious works of art, others which are downright trashy. There are also links to sources that show you the step-by-step process on how those mods were created, which I always find fascinating.


A metal box with cathode lights, grapefruit-sized exhaust fans, and tribal-patterned glass etchings does NOT make a good case mod!!! I find those types of case mods to be irritatingly annoying; they all seem so industrial and uncreative. It's like The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift in a box. Also, what the heck is up with aliens, skulls, and gothic towers? It's horribly cliched and flat out UGLY.

I like cases that show ingenuity, something that makes me go "Oh! Why didn't I think of that?", something where form meets function. Something simple, artistic, elegant, not outrageous for the sake of having a hulking, mechanical beast.


This mod shown above is actually pretty clever. The case itself is made from an IKEA trash can. I like it because it takes something that I commonly see everyday and transforms it into something unintended. Yes, there is a lot of wire tubing, and even a cathode, but the way this was constructed makes it seem clever and innovative. And it looks quite simple. Plus, the trash can itself is $4, so you can't go wrong with that!


No doubt some of you may have already seen the Victorian-era PC mod. I think it looks beautiful, and is truly a work of art and craftsmanship. The flowery/ivy etchings on the sides of the monitor look exquisite, and the adjustable railings look smart. Don't get me started about that webcam (or microphone?), although the mouse looks a bit painful. I like my mice ergonomic and comfortable, thank you very much.

What are some interesting case mods you've seen?

No comments: